Members of the same family unit may apply together on the same application. They must:
- be in Australia at the time of application
- be eligible to apply for this visa
Members of the same family unit are:
- spouse or de facto partner of the family head
- dependent child or step-child of the family head
- dependent child or step-child of the family head’s partner
- other dependent relatives of the family head
The family head can be you. It can also be someone else in your family who has not applied for this visa.
A dependent child is a child or step-child who is under 18 years old. A dependent child can be 18 years old or older if they are:
- incapacitated for work due to loss of their bodily or mental functions; or
- wholly or substantially reliant on their parent or step-parent for financial, psychological or physical support
We do not consider a child or step-child of any age to be a dependent child if they are currently married, engaged to be married or in a de facto relationship.
Children who are not dependent children must apply for their own visa
Other dependent relatives may include relatives such as the family head’s:
- or step equivalent to any of the above
We consider a relative to be a dependent relative of the family head if they:
- do not have a spouse or de facto partner
- usually lives with the family head; and
- are wholly or substantially reliant on the family head for financial, psychological or physical support
Members of the same family unit applying for this visa must meet our health, character and security requirements.
If a child is born after you submit your application and before we make a decision on your application, the child will be taken to be included in that application. You must tell us as soon as possible by:
If a child is born in Australia, we automatically grant them the same visas their parents hold at the time of the child’s birth.
If either parent is an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident at the time of the child’s birth, the child might be an Australian citizen by birth.