Subclass 189 – Skilled Independent visa – Points tested stream
This Subclass 189 – Skilled Independent visa is a permanent resident visa for points-tested skilled workers, who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government. This visa allows the visa holders to live and work in Australia permanently.
The Australian General Skilled Migration (GSM) Visa is one of the most popular routes for migration to Australia, and Visa Help Australia Pty Ltd and Skilled Migration Consultants Pvt Ltd have specialist knowledge and experience in General Skilled Migration Visas. Please see our testimonials page: https://visahelpaustralia.com.au/testimonials/
To apply for Subclass 189 – Skilled Independent visa – points tested stream, the applicant will need to submit an expression of interest (EOI) and then be invited through SkillSelect to apply for the visa. The applicants can be in or outside Australia when they apply and when the visa is granted.
The applicant must:
- nominate an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
- obtain suitable skills assessment for that occupation
- be less than 45 years of age (not yet turned 45) at the time of invitation
- achieved the score specified in their letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
- have at least competent English, and
- meet certain health and character requirements
Cost (as on 1 July 2019) for Subclass 189 – Skilled Independent visa
A$ 4045 for Primary applicant
A$ 2020 for spouse/Secondary applicant
A$ 1015 for each child
The cost will increase usually on 1 July every year.
Second instalment charge
You might have to pay an extra charge for any applicant 18 years old or older who has less than functional English. This charge is the second instalment. The Department of Home Affairs will ask for the charge only if the Department is going to grant the visa. The second instalment charge for family members is A$ 4885.
The Visa Pricing Estimator does not include the second instalment or other costs. You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
Processing times (as in July 2019) for Subclass 189 – Skilled Independent visa
75% of applications are processed in 7 months
90% of applications are processed in 8 months
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely. The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) has a travel component that expires 5 years after the date of visa grant.
You become a permanent resident on the day the Department of Home Affairs grants you the visa.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residence starts on the day:
- The Department of Home Affairs grants the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) if you are in Australia
- you enter Australia on this Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) if you are outside Australia
In the visa application, the applicant can include his/her:
- partner (married or de facto)
- dependent children
- other dependent relatives.
These family members must meet certain requirements to be included as family members in the application. The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to the applicant. The family members must also meet health and character requirements.
The applicant can add his/her partner and dependent children to the application at any time until the visa is decided.
With this permanent residency visa, the applicant and any family members who have also been granted this visa can:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and/or study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia’s medical scheme for health-related care and expenses
- apply for Australian citizenship (if and when you are eligible)
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence (if possible)
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after this time, the applicant will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia; Alternatively, they can get Australian Citizenship and passport, when eligible).
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) and when the Department of Home Affairs decides on your application, but not in immigration clearance.
If you apply in Australia, you must hold a substantive or a Bridging A visa (subclass 010), a Bridging B visa (subclass 020) or a Bridging C visa (subclass 030).
You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date the Department of Home Affairs grant the visa. After 5 years you will need a Resident Return (RRV) visa (subclass 155 or 157) to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.
The Department of Home Affairs will digitally link your Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.
This is what some of our clients have said in summary about our Australian Immigration services:
- “Anna is a friend in need and an immigration agent with supreme proficiency: a reliable professional, fully confident, sincere and amicable gentleman”
- “A very personalized professional assistance…”
- “Highly knowledgeable, proactive and willing to go the extra mile to get job done”
- “I believe the visa was only granted due to the hard work and dedication Anna put into my application.”
- “His response and way of working towards queries resolutions was outstanding.”
- “I would highly recommend his service where you will be guaranteed 100% .”
- “Anna means big brother and he is one of the most trusted and honest people I have communicated with”
- “Very professional, knowledgeable and timely”
- “Dr. Anna is the best possible person you can trust…Very Professional, ethical, fast and responsive…”
- “Best Visa Advisor!!!”
- “My words cannot describe the gratitude for your services”
- “He is very thorough and professional in his approach!”
- “Anna was wonderful, helping me and my employer with my RSMS”
- “Anna has always been very approachable and patient in answering all my questions. He is very knowledgeable and a very friendly person. His approach toward the case is very honest and professional.”
- “He is a motivated and responsible person with a high degree of integrity.”
- “We could not have been more impressed with the standard and quality of your service.”
- “Looking for a guide to help you file Permanent Residency in Australia – Anna beats everyone in all aspects!!”
- “He is a very professional person whom we can trust.”
- “Anna is the most patient migration agent I have ever met.”
- “I am absolutely delighted with his professional advice and prompt response to my queries”
- “Visa help Australia is undoubtedly the best Immigration Services for Australia & Dr. Annathurai is one of the best immigration consultants”
- “I could not have imagined any other agent other than Anna to handle my case. He is very professional and extremely fast.”
- “He was extremely thorough, knowledgeable and professional every step of this process”
- “A true, genuine and honest person!!!”
- “Professional with a personal touch”
- “He is a very genuine and honest individual and I’d highly recommend Dr. Anna”
- “A trusted partner in your pursuit and a thorough Professional – He is more concerned about the timeliness on your VISA application than you would be worried about it. “
- “Anna has always delivered clear, concise, accurate, timely information and realistic options”
- “He is very professional and very honest.”
- “Anna is very professional, honest and a hard worker”
- “Anna always patiently answered all my queries…”