Top Tips for drafting a successful Australian Student Visa application

Australia is one of the most popular educational hubs in the world and attracts thousands of student applications every year. Australian universities have earned reputation in providing world-class education facilities and tuition for all students regardless of their field of study.  Additionally, many Australian education providers offer flexible study arrangements including short-term, graduate and post-graduate courses to suit the different course needs of students.

If you are planning to study in Australia, you will generally need to apply for a student visa before your course starts and before you arrive in Australia. The Australian Department of Home Affairs (the Department) receive thousands of student visas each year from hopeful students but many are refused because of wrong or insufficient documents, or inconsistencies in the application. The document requirements are tough for student visas. Enlisting the help of an Australian Registered Migration Agent can help students draft their visa application and provide advice on the important documents and information to include in the application for it to be successful. Below are some Migration Agent Top Tips:

Find a CRICOS registered education provider

Firstly, to apply for an Australian student visa, the desired course and education provider MUST be CRICOS registered. You can verify if the course and education provider you wish to study at are CRICOS registered by checking the provider’s website or through the Australian government CRICOS search tool:

Select the right course

To be eligible for an Australian student visa, you must apply for one of the following full-time CRICOS

registered education programs:

  • Short course
  • Intensive English language course
  • Primary or high school
  • Vocational education and training course
  • Higher-education and tertiary course
  • Post-graduate research program

Your course should be for full-time study and the duration of the course should be at least three months.

Enrol as a student

After you have found the right course at one of the CRICOS-registered education institutions, you can enrol for the course through the institution’s website. You can contact the education provider’s admissions department directly by phone or email if you would like to know more about their enrolment processes and course requirements. Most providers are very responsive to new student enquiries. Please note that some education providers may only accept applications from certain countries through qualified education agents. It is best to verify how to enrol with the provider.

Proof of study

As part of the visa application, you will need to provide proof that you have been accepted to study at a CRICOS registered Australian education provider. This proof is known as a ‘Confirmation of Enrolment’ (CoE) or ‘Letter of offer’. Make sure that you have this document ready before applying for the visa and that all the details on the letter are correct!

Know which visa suits your needs

The student visa stream you apply for depends on the type of course you have enrolled in. In some cases, if you are applying for a course that has a duration of three months or less, you may be able to apply for a visitor visa or a working holiday visa (if eligible). If you are planning to pursue a course that is more than three months, however, you will need to apply for a Student visa in one of the following streams:

  • Schools Sector for primary or secondary school study
  • Vocational Education and Training Sector for post-secondary, trade or associate professional level study
  • Higher Education Sector for undergraduate degree study
  • Postgraduate Research Sector
  • Independent ELICOS Sector for intensive English courses
  • Non-Award Sector for short courses that do not lead to a formal qualification
  • Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector

Make arrangement for health insurance

All international students applying for a student visa must show they have acceptable private health insurance for their entire stay in Australia. This is a mandatory requirement to cover any hospital and/or medical expenses during their stay. Without health insurance proof, your student visa application will be rejected.

Proof of financial capacity 

Some students need to show evidence that they have enough money to cover course costs, travel and living expenses while they are studying in Australia. Even if you are not required to provide this evidence when you lodge your student visa application, an assessing case officer can ask for it later on. A registered Migration Agent can help you to understand what financial capacity evidence may be acceptable depending on your circumstances.

Genuine Temporary Entrant

All student visa applicants must satisfy the Department that they only intend to stay in Australia on a temporary basis to study their course. This can be very difficult to prove, and many applications have been refused because this requirement is not well addressed or evidenced. It is therefore important to consider using a registered Migration Agent to help you address this requirement in your visa application before it is lodged to avoid any unnecessary processing delays and the chance of a visa refusal!

Get assistance from a qualified Migration Agent

The student application process is complicated, but don’t fret; you can consult an Australian registered Migration Agent to help you draft the application and go through your supporting document evidence. There are many qualified migration agents who are well-versed with the student visa process and will guide you every step of the way to make the process seamless and stress-free.